Sunday, April 14, 2013

Installation Lovearch in Knoxville

Lovearch was selected to be a part of the Dogwood Arts Festival Art in Public Places outdoor sculpture exhibition. I was thrilled to be a part of this show because they heavily promote the artwork, its in a fairly bustling city, and the awards are well-funded.  Just as important as these factors, my mother's sister and her family live there now. I haven't seen them since I was a scrappy young mop-top undergraduate in 2000 (at the latest) and my mother hasn't seen her sister for a million years. So my mom drove down to Greenville NC from Virginia and we drove across the Smokey Mountains to Knoxville, Tennessee. 

My cousin Kathleen Callen tagged along for the installation in Krutch park and took these photos. I thought I would share them because its neat to see these other sculptors install their works and you might like to see mine installed as well. 

My affable former professor Hanna Jubran grabbed his sculpture and rolled outta there. I helped him strap it down. Hanna won 1st place. Although, I don't have a picture of the winning sculpture.

Glenn Zweygardt guiding Shawn Morin's sculpture into place.

Glenn and Shawn catching up.

Davis Whitefield IV

Glenn and Shawn

DW Martin
My van waiting in line.
DW Martin. Powdercoated Steel. Love it.


The artist unstrapping the sculpture.

Glenn Zweygardt's piece from last year that he's picking up.

Zweygardt's Crane truck. Best Sculpture vehicle ever.

The legend: Glenn Zweygardt

Moving the bases on my homemade-roller.

Zweygardt's sculpture.

Positioning the concrete pads.

Uncle Mike lining up the pads.

"It goes here." -the artist

"One more inch."












Handy-man Mike Callen.

Frank Sinatra rises from the dead to bolt in my sculpture. Just kidding, its my uncle Mike.






Anchoring the bases.

Meanwhile another installation is progress.


Mike Sohikian flexing them muscles.
yep.

Ray Katz's Stargazer. Brushed Aluminum. 

My mom, Beth, and her sister Bonnie.

My mom and I.

My cousin, Kathleen, and I.



Voting via QR code. I wish I'd known that when I was there.

Dogwoods are starting to bloom. Nice contrast of color.

Rick Leichliter


Madam Butterfly won second place. Congrats.

I'm happy to report that Lovearch brought home the bronze! So a little extra recognition to motivate me to make more work. The Dogwood Arts had an opening reception the following week and I was too busy and far away to go so Kathleen and her folks were happy to go and accept the award on my behalf.  

So there you have it. A happy story. Cheers.



1 comment:

  1. Great to see the entire installation process. Nice of your uncle and aunt to assist.
    3D

    ReplyDelete