Sunday, December 28, 2014

Lessons in plants

 Going out to Grifton to see the "succulent dude" was more than I bargained for. I decided to take Nathan, partly because he is a plant enthusiast and will enjoy seeing the greenhouse, but also to be a buffer. This plant dude likes to depart wisdom, so much so that its hard to get a word or question in. I just wanted to go out there and buy some succulents to take back a re-pot into some of my planters that I've been making. Its hard to explain what happened out there but all I know is that I left his greenhouse without any damn plants. Nathan was there, ask him. I left with a boggled mind.

We returned to Greenville and spent the day hashing out what he had told us. We actually had learned a lot  from Rob from the 2 hours we were trapped inside his greenhouse of beautiful plants. We discovered that Nathan had some perfectly good "stock" plants in his house that we could harvest trimmings from. We also learned some basic marketing tricks that I hope to use next time I set up my wares. Here are some photos I took of Rob's greenhouse and then some of what we did when we returned to Greenville.

Here are Some Awesome Quotes:

  • "F**king Home Depot!"
  • "Don't ever use fertilizer in plants in your home."
  • "Take a biology class, if you want to learn about plants, for crissakes."
  •  "...like a hanging a swastika from your neck."
  •  "Those built-in saucers for the planters are a deathwish for the plants."
  • "Most people are f**king idiots, they know nothing...no, they know less than nothing!"
  • "If someone handed you the keys to a nuclear power plant after they had had a core reactor melt-down and had said, "I didn't really study this shit, hey you want to run it?" you'd think they were crazy, right? or f**king stupid! The same applies to plant keeping, you gotta study this shit."
  • "Go to Lowes and look for discounted plants that are dying, get some great deals there."



Nathan politely listening.









Nathan's plant in my planterhead.

Nathan's cactus in my planterhead.

Jade plants freshly potted.

Meat Puppets and plants.

Vine video of a planter I'm making at Nathan's.

Joy to the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment